I’m a senior product designer and design leader with 15 years’ experience, currently based in London, UK.
I left the Twitter design team in the summer, and am available for work.
I love designing products which have a genuine application and provide real value to people. I joined Twitter because of the impact it has as a platform for social and political change in developing nations, and before that I was design lead on GOV.UK because I believe in the importance of digital transformation in the public sector.
I design to meet user and business needs, informed by analytics and usage data. I don’t design marketing gimmicks – please don’t contact me this type of work.
What I bring to a team
- I believe in designing based on data – looking at analytics, user trends, and a/b testing results as well as usability testing to inform design decisions.
- I do hands-on design work for apps and screens – design research, wireframes, prototypes, usability testing, final visuals, with an expert understanding of grids, typography, layout, colour, iconography, imagery, and motion.
- I provide design leadership to inspire creative digital teams.
- I work with product teams to forge a progressive digital vision.
- I develop and execute on a strategic digital roadmap for the next few years.
- I nurture a sense of ownership among the team.
- I instil rigorous design methodologies to ensure the best output from the team.
- I establish design principles and pattern libraries for the products.
- I offer mentorship to other designers.
Senior Designer, Clearleft & freelance
Ten years designing and building client websites.
Case studies: Clearleft
I’ve spoken at many web conferences both at home and abroad, including Future of Web Design, IA Summit, IxDA, SXSW, and Web Directions. If you’d like me to speak at your conference, please get in touch.
I've written on the subject of usability testing, sketching to communicate, UX in password security, and digital community events, as well as having my work featured in Net magazine and sitting on the Net Awards judging panel.
I am currently
I was senior designer in the Influencers team, defining how Twitter works for pro users and publishers.
I was design lead at the Government Digital Service (GDS), prototyping the GOV.UK website and digital services like Register to vote.
I spent a decade designing and building websites, including five years as senior designer at Clearleft.