Saga Next project →
Group Head of Digital Customer Experience & Design
Grew a small central design team to update Saga's approach to digital design, and create products and services that work for older generations, who are often less confident using technology.
Homepage rebrand, Possibilities membership, design pattern library
I led design for an Agile product team of a dozen people, working on TweetDeck and other pro user features like Twitter Teams, which touched many points across the Twitter tech stack and were available both in apps and on the web.
Being the design lead for TweetDeck involved balancing features to benefit newsrooms and other pro users, with maintaining parity with Twitter’s consumer experience. Rigorous prioritisation based on a solid understanding of the pro user base was fundamental.
I loved the challenges and excitement of releasing changes that immediately impact and improve the experience of millions of users actively using the product at any one time.
- partner with leaders from Product and Engineering orgs to develop, implement, and achieve objectives and key results (OKR)
- develop a high level strategy and bold future vision for TweetDeck’s roadmap and other pro user features into 2016 and beyond
- nurture a sense of ownership among the whole product team
- practice a rigorous design process to ensure the best value-added Twitter experiences for pro users and publishers
- facilitate planning workshops, release retrospectives, and design crits (with the six designers on the UK team)
- weekly prioritisation and sprint planning
- actively participate in and plan for community design events, both internally and externally
- oversee design research (user interviews, surveys, usability studies)
- create and maintain design pattern libraries
- design user flows & UI explorations
- build and test prototypes
- create final design comps